dimanche 25 août 2013

A note on being a tool

I made this somewhat a point in my message to my disciples, but it should be one's aim in life not to be a tool for women. While reading at Columbia, I literally witnessed a Korean fob with designer jeans and frames sit down and have long coffee chats with two different women, with an hour of separation in-between. He propped his feet up on the chair, made the girls squeal "oppa~" a couple times, and smiled at his own occasional cleverness. Tool, tool, and super tool. And yet I observed these things while intermittently exchanging sentimental messages to my girlfriend on my phone. I conceded we're all entrapped by similar things.

Why is it I'm writing this? Because I realize I'm growing. Yes, I'm pronouncing a judgment on him here on the internet (there is a purpose for that, namely, I don't want to see you guys doing shady stuff too). But it didn't stop there. I prayed for the guy, for his future marriage, that he would learn the emptiness of his boyish ways, and even prayed for the gift of tongues - for God to somehow endow me with Korean so I could befriend him. I prayed for my brothers to stand countercultural and love fellow sisters by loving God more than their egos. I earnestly wanted those prayers answered. We must all learn that the mark of manliness may indeed be how many marks we've left on fellow men, and not scars on women. LORD, forgive me all my wrongdoings; I am a worm, but what makes it all worthwhile is that I am your worm.

To be fair about painting pictures of certain people groups, there was a group of very loud and vulgar Chinese FOBs on the other side so I much preferred the Korean couple(s). Also, to the Korean brethren, if you could supply translated phrases along the lines of, "Have you ever heard of covenantal theology?" I'd be most thankful! I surmised it would have been fun to see what this guy felt about covenants, both with God and with other people. Apologies, I'm inextricably going through my 5th relapse into cage-stage Calvinism.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire