jeudi 3 mai 2012

Isaiah: covenant prosecutor


In the beginning parts of his book, Isaiah accuses especially the leadership on what we might call “permissible sins,” or at least sins beneath the surface that are harder to detect. So I’m getting hit pretty hard on this one.

We have listed hypocrisy, selfishness, self-indulgence, and sarcasm (Isaiah 1:10-15, 5:8, 5:11, 5:19-20). Like any other sin, these sins produce both destructive fruit within the doer and also bring down ruin for anyone under the authority of these leaders. Frightening, yes for I will be held accountable to some, and so my attention is drawn to the special yet disturbing wrath that God has in store for those not keeping their end of the covenant: “These have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations; I also will choose harsh treatment for them and bring their fears upon them … The sound of an uproar from the city! A sound from the temple! The sound of the LORD rendering recompense to his enemies!” (Isaiah 66:3-4, 6)

The same spirit of the covenants is not altogether done away with the ushering in of the new one through Christ. Father, I who am prone to wander, I plead that the spirit keep my paths straight and intimately near my shepherding savior!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire