vendredi 3 février 2012

God chooses solidarity of feelings

Interesting point J.I. Packer raises as I speculate the correctness of the claim. In the same way that God chose to limit his omniscience and capabilities for the purposes of his redemptive history in the person of Jesus (Matthew 24:36, Philippians 2:7), in some immanent sense he also chooses to make his happiness dependent on our happiness.

We look at verses such as the following:

In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. (Luke 15:10)

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. (Ephesians 4:30-31)

Of course, we affirm the completeness and security God has within himself for he never needed us in the first place (John 17:24, Psalm 115:3). But the act of choosing, and thus in some sense sacrificing, his emotions for our sake is pretty astounding. Think of someone you love. You are only ever completely happy when that person is happy as well.

We might hear preachers tell us to somehow get over our depression by looking at how happy our God is (Philippians 4:4, Hebrews 12:2). And what truth! However, an additional motivation I’ve found is that I know I am serving my God quite directly by finding joy in him, and that makes him extra happy. The feedback is completely positive. When I am reluctant to emotionally invest in people due to painful past hurts, I look to my God and the cost he exacted on himself to make me his friend!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire