mercredi 7 novembre 2012

Missiology #3

From http://ceruleansanctum.com:


Evangelicals don’t seem to understand the lives of non-Evangelicals, which is why Evangelicals continue to fail to connect with people who are different from them. Blame this on a bunker mentality. Honestly, how many liberal friends do most Evangelicals have? Why expect any influence at all then?

That lack of influence illustrates how Evangelicals have forgotten the root of their label: evangelism.

Evangelicals must learn that no political party is their friend. Selling out to the GOP has hurt Evangelicalism more than it can imagine, and Evangelicals must stop believing that any one political party represents them. Strange bedfellows have hurt the cause of Christ in America, and it is high-time the reflex to vote Republican stops. Evangelicals must support political candidates, regardless of party affiliation, who more accurately reflect the nature of God’s character and who perfectly answer how God can be known. Evangelicals must also realize that values voting is a major failure because it does not take into account all aspects of who God is. Picking and choosing values only further muddies Evangelicalism’s larger stance on what it means to be in Christ. All of who God is must be considered, and that means looking at aspects of God’s character Evangelicals have neglected. If Evangelicals were as well-known for championing the causes of the poor in America as they were for championing the cause of traditional marriage, perhaps those single, urban mothers who went en masse for “the other guy” might have voted differently.


(Original link)

1 commentaire:

  1. Once upon a time (lol..), I was an evangelical... and from my experience: I found myself constantly being self righteous and judgemental of others who didn't share the same spiritual values as me. The more I started venturing out and becoming friends with people who were different from me, the more it was harder for me to keep the same values. Not because I wanted to follow the world or because I was "ashamed" but in a lot of ways, I do feel that Christianity is a very exclusive religion or... perhaps, it looks "exclusive" because of the liberal world we live in now... I still need to do my research on a lot of things surrounding spirituality. I don't think its impossible for a liberal person to be a follower of Christ... but I do see the separation between "conservative" Christians and more moderate and "liberal" Christians...

    RépondreSupprimer