mardi 3 août 2010

What tools do carpenters use?

So I really like the word tool. I especially like it when it's used for the direct purpose of calling someone out on being a tool. Exquisite. Blessed is the man who is anti-establishment, asexual in orientation, and freelance in thought and motive.

That same man would call Willis a tool, or at he's least becoming one. What?? Willis is no tool, my dear readers would argue.

In the beginning of my faith, it was easy to start passing judgment on fellow churchgoers.
You seriously never cuss? Tool.
You donate to a missions team that can't even speak the native tongue of its audience? Tool.
You tithe your allowance? Tool.
You use the Bible to encourage someone like it'll make them feel better? Tool.
You have lunch dates with the youth pastor? Tooltooltool.

And so like 3 years later, this same person is dragging out high school friends to apologetics discussions, defending the tacky piece of antiquity called the Bible to his famuree, and praying at public localities. If only I'd known sooner that what I saw as being a tool was actually being filled with the Holy Spirit! Being sold out to God is about as toolish as you get, as weak as you get. And what would be pathetic to the world is honestly the best course of action (2 Corinthians 12:9).

So how thankful I am to be surrounded by other tools (for God). Tools I can confess my sins to and receive encouragement from (always in Biblical contexts). If I were Mulan singing that Christina Aguilera song, I'd want my reflection to show a shiny wrench in the hands of God. Or pliers.

EDIT: I realized also that I started going to church because the girl I liked was going, so...............I don't even know.

1 commentaire: